Thursday, May 6, 2010

Steampunk Drawing


For my punk drawing, I decided to go with steampunk. I think the steampunk genre speaks to me more in what I'm involved in today than the other punk genre's. When I researched this drawing, I found a lot of the old school circular wlding goggles so I decided to run with that idea. In most of my work I try to give the viewer a different perspective on the subject matter so i decided to put the viewer in the welding goggles. With this concept I really had to think about how the viewer would be able to see with these on, such as thinking about blind spots, peripherals, etc. Instead of having two seperate circles, I combined the two to make up for the blind spot. I also had to think about rivets in the metal like where bolts would go to tack on strips of metal. For that I decided to put simple strips of riveted metal around the sides to fram it in a sense. The rest of the subject matter in the goggles such as the welding torch, hand and gloves and the surroundings just all came together. i was really happy with this piece, I've been getting into welding and this was something I could really relate to, the idea of moving forward in the world and trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment