Thursday, May 6, 2010

Death/Sex Printmaking Project


The concept of what makes me feel uncomfortable to look at or think about made me really think for a while. As a fisherman, I think one of my biggest fears is if the boat rolls over and I get trapped, having to swim up to the hull for that last breath of air makes me squirm just thinking about it, I think that would be my worst fear. So I decided to do a drawing/print on that concept. Each year, at least one person from each port around the United States doesn't come back and that's a sad thing to think about. Being in Alaska, we have a lot of boats that go down and thier stories always make front page in newspapers. So I wanted to run with that concept, have a picture of someone trapped and drowning with a news article, something that if someone read it, that it would hit home as if it really happened. I wasn't crazy with how the prints came out, but I did touch up the picture of the boat at the top right, I felt that needed to stand out, the rest I was ok with leaving old looking and what not. I really like how everything was overlapped as if someone was digging up all of the informationon the accident to bring back the memory. I find myself doing that sometimes with a friend of mine who passed away and I alwayslook to find the news article on it, so in many ways this piece was personal for me. I am pleased with how it came out, it was a fun step away from a complete hands on drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment